主题

帖子

3万

金币

大家网博士生

积分
发表于 2009-9-27 13:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
G20 Leaders Wrap Up Their Economic Summit
Group of 20 leaders wrapped up their summit Friday with agreements intended to prevent future economic meltdowns, and giving key emerging nations a larger voice in international economic issues.  
U.S. President Barack Obama said the G20 leaders agreed on concrete steps to prevent another financial meltdown like the current one that has pushed millions of people into unemployment and cost trillions of dollars in lost wealth.
"Never again let the schemes a reckless few put the world's financial system and our peoples' wellbeing at risk," he said.
He said the agreement generally increases regulation of the financial system, and calls for banks to keep larger reserves to cover losses from bad loans and failed investments.
He said the leaders crafted procedures to cope with the failure of major financial firms in an orderly way that minimizes damage to the financial system and the public treasury.
And he said there will be new rules governing the way bankers get paid.
"We will tie executive pay to long-term performance so that sound decisions are rewarded instead of short-term greed. In short our financial system will be far more secure than the one that failed so dramatically last year," he said.
European leaders wanted specific limits on the huge bonuses that critics said encouraged bankers to take reckless risks in pursuit of short term profits.
The agreement stops short of that, but calls for complex rules intended to restrain bonus payments.
Mr. Obama said the economic picture has improved, but there is a long way to go before recovery is complete.
Many G20 members have been trying to bolster their economies by cutting interest rates and raising spending on public works. The leaders said the fledgling recovery still needs help, and pledged to continue stimulus efforts for a while.
And leaders of the world's wealthiest nations, including Britain's Prime Minister Gordon Brown, and the heads of key emerging economies agreed to use the G20 as a forum to debate and decide international economic issues. "The G20 will now be seen as the premier economic organization for dealing with issues of economic management around the world," he said.
That is a change from the tradition of putting such issues before the G8, made up of mostly wealthy western countries.
The change recognizes that develolping nations like India and China are a large and growing share of the world's economic output. Carnegie Mellon University Economics Professor Lester Lave says the economic crisis made the change urgent.
"Your people and your economy are being put at risk by nations that are not necessarily thinking about you or their good, so you would want to have more of a say in what is going on," he said.
The two day summit in Pittsburgh is the third meeting of G20 leaders in less than a year as nations struggle to ease the recession.
Their efforts did not impress the thousands of protesters who complained that the global economic system is unfair, and that G20 nations do too little to help the poor. Police made some arrests and used tear gas to cope with some of the demonstrations.

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?注册

x
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

3万

金币

大家网博士生

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2009-9-27 13:50 | 显示全部楼层
G20峰会于周五圆满结束,就阻止经济再次下滑达成一系列协议,并给予新兴经济体在国际经济事务中更大的话语权。
美国总统奥巴马表示,G20各国领导人就阻止类似的金融危机再次发生的具体措施达成了一致。这次的金融危机导致数百万人失业,造成数兆美元的资产损失。
“我们永远不能允许监管体系的疏忽再次将世界金融体系和人民的福祉置于危险境地。”他说。
他说,总体来讲,协议增加了金融体系监管,呼吁银行持有更多的准备金,以弥补不良贷款和投资失败的损失。
他说,世界各国领导制定了相关程序,对主要金融公司的失败进行有序的处理,将其对金融体系和公共财产的损害降到最低。
奥巴马表示,还将出台相关规则管理银行薪资体系。
“我们将以长期表现为准则来决定主管级别薪资,做出长期准确可靠决定的人会受到嘉奖,而不是那些只看短期收益的人。简言之,我们的金融体系安全性将远远高于去年崩溃的金融体系。”
欧洲领导人希望对银行巨额奖金进行特别限制。批评家称,巨额奖金导致银行家铤而走险,鲁莽行事,只追求短期利润。
协议并未提到这一点,但是呼吁制定综合规则,限制奖金支付。
奥巴马总统表示,经济状况已经好转,但是全面复苏仍有很长的路要走。
许多G20成员国都曾试图通过降低利率,增加公共支出来刺激经济。这些国家的领导人表示,现在的复苏仍然是初步的,仍然需要帮助。他们承诺短期内仍会继续采取刺激经济措施。
世界上最富强国家领导人,包括英国首相布朗在内,以及主要新兴经济体领导人一致同意,以G20作为对国际经济事务进行辩论,做出抉择的论坛。“G20将被视为世界范围内经济事务管理的第一大经济组织。”他说。
这是对传统的一大改变。以前,一向是最富强的西方国家组成的G8来处理国际经济事务。
这个改变认可了发展中国家,例如印度和中国在世界经济产出中占有很大并且不断增加的份额。卡耐基-梅隆大学经济学教授Lester Lave称,经济危机导致这种改变的迅速发生。
“你们的人民和经济由于那些未充分考虑你们的权益和他们的利益的国家而处于危险境地,所以你们在目前的情况下希望拥有更大的话语权。”他说。
匹兹堡为期两天的峰会是不到一年的时间以来,G20领导人召开第三次会议,缓解全球经济衰退问题。
他们的努力并没有改变数千名抗议者的看法。他们抱怨称,全球经济体系是不公平的,G20各国并没有采取足够措施帮助贫穷国家。警方逮捕多人,使用催泪弹驱散示威者。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

3万

金币

大家网博士生

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2009-9-27 13:51 | 显示全部楼层
1.concrete a.具体的,实在的,水泥的
例句:She spoke in very concrete terms.
      她谈得非常具体。
2.reckless a.不注意的,大意的,卤莽的,不顾后果的
例句:The police charged the driver with reckless driving.
      警察控告他鲁莽驾驶。
3.wellbeing n.健康, 幸福, 福利, 舒适, 安宁
4.generally ad.广泛地,普遍地,通常,一般
例句:We generally tend to overvalue money and undervalue art.
      我们一般倾向于把金钱看得过重而低估艺术的价值。
5.minimize v. 最小化
vt. 将…减到最少

例句:We must not minimize the consequences of this disaster.
      我们不能低估这次灾难的后果。
6.sound a.健全的,可靠的,合理的
7.reward v.奖赏,酬谢,报应
例句:The father rewarded the little boy for cleaning the room.
      小男孩因为打扫了房间而受到父亲的奖励。
8.dramatically ad.从戏剧角度;戏剧性地,显著地
例句:Every family has their own life style, thus lifestyles differ dramatically in cost.
      每家的生活方式不同,耗用也就相差甚远。  
9.restrain v.克制,限制,抑制,约束,拘束,束缚
例句:We can not restrain oneself.
      我们不能克制自己。
10.fledgling n.羽毛初长的雏鸟,刚会飞的幼鸟,无经验的人
例句:He is a fledgling writer.
      他是个初出茅庐的作家。
11.complain v.抱怨,埋怨,控诉,不满
例句:She complained that the exam was too hard.
      她抱怨说考试太难了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

3万

金币

大家网博士生

积分
1.Group of 20 leaders wrapped up their summit Friday with agreements intended to prevent future economic meltdowns, and giving key emerging nations a larger voice in international economic issues.  
wrap up(圆满)完成,(胜利)结束
例句:Let’s wrap up the discussion.
       让我们结束这次讨论吧。
      I 'd like to wrap thing up now.
       我很想现在就结束。
intend to打算(做)..., 想要(做)...
例句:I intend to contest the judge's decision in another court.
      我打算到另一个法庭去对法官的判决进行抗辩。
2.Never again let the schemes a reckless few put the world's financial system and our peoples' wellbeing at risk.
at risk在危险中,在危急时
例句:The whole future of the company is at risk.
      这家公司的整个前途都处在危险之中。
3. In short our financial system will be far more secure than the one that failed so dramatically last year.
in short简而言之
4.European leaders wanted specific limits on the huge bonuses that critics said encouraged bankers to take reckless risks in pursuit of short term profits.
in pursuit of追求, 寻求
例句:He is unswerving in pursuit of his aims.
      他坚定地追求自己的目标。
5.That is a change from the tradition of putting such issues before the G8, made up of mostly wealthy western countries.
made up of由…组成,由…构成
例句:We think of a nucleus as made up of neutron and proton .
       我们认为原子核是由中子和质子构成的。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

3万

金币

大家网博士生

积分
We will tie executive pay to long-term performance so that sound decisions are rewarded instead of short-term greed.
so that引导状语从句
so that既可引导目的状语从句也可引导结果状语从句。那么,在实际使用过程中如何区别它们呢?下面就语义关系和结构形式对这两种从句进行辨析说明。
(1)目的是以观念形态存在的潜在的可能性和意欲,不是事实。这一潜在的可能性或意欲的实现,则是结果。目的是主观意念,结果是客观现实。因此,从句若反映一种意欲、一种可能性,则是目的从句;若是一种事实,就是结果从句。试比较:
I'm going to take an early bus so that I'll get there in time.(purpose)我打算乘早班公共汽车,以便及时赶到那里。
I took an early bus so that I got there in time.(result)我乘了早班公共汽车,及时到了那里。
(2)目的从句表示动机(即一种可能性),并非事实,只是想要达到某个结果的意愿,因而从句中多用假定性的谓语动词。常有can,many,will,could,might,would,should等情态动词。情态动词本身并无词汇意义,只是一种虚拟用法。结果从句表示客观事实,所以用陈述语气的谓语动词,从句中常无情态动词。试比较:
We planted many shrubs so that the garden should/might look more beautiful.(purpose)我们栽了很多灌木,为了让花园看起来更美一些。
We planted many shrubs,so that the garden soon looked more beautiful.(re-sult)我们栽了很多灌木,花园里不久就好看多了。
I always write so carefully that I may make my meaning clear.(purpose)我写作总是字斟句酌,是为了让人看懂我的意思。
I always write so carefully that I make my meaning clear.(result)我写作总是字斟句酌,结果把意思讲得一清二楚。
Every precaution was taken that the plan might not fail.(purpose)已经采取了各种措施,好让计划不致遭失败。
I must be getting absent-minded that I forgot to bring my ticket.(result)我一定是心不在焉,结果票也忘了带。
注意,从句中如用情态动词could,有时会使得目的和结果的界线模糊。比如下面这个句子既可表示结果也可表示目的:
He spoke loudly so that everybody could hear him.(result or purpose)
这种情况下,只有依靠上下文来判断从句是表示结果还是目的。
有时,即使从句中用了can,could,should等,但整句的意思是明确的,因此,它仍是一个结果状语从句。请看下面三个句子:
The room was packed with people,so that we couldn't get in.房间里挤满了人,我们进不去。
It is raining,so that I cannot go out.天在下雨,我出不去了。
What have I done that you should be so angry with me?我干了些什么使你对我如此恼火?
(3)目的状语从句与主句的关系紧密,在讲话时一气呵成,而结果从句则是句子的外在因素,讲话时往往在主句和从句之间须略加停顿,书写时一般用逗号断开。试比较:
We all arrived at eight,so(that)the meeting began promptly.(result)我们都是八点到达的,结果会议马上就开始了。
We'll come at eight(so)that the meeting can begin early.(purpose)我们要八点来,以便会议能早点开始。
He violated the regulation,so he was punished.(result)他违反了规章制度,所以他受了处分。
I sent the letter airmail so he would gat it right now.(purpose)此信我航空寄发,好让他立即收到。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

金币

大家网小学三年级

积分

CET4

发表于 2009-9-28 10:03 | 显示全部楼层
学习了
英语菜鸟
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

金币

大家网幼儿园

积分

CET4

发表于 2009-10-1 20:40 | 显示全部楼层
··~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

诚聘英才|移动端|Archiver|版权声明|大家论坛 ( 京ICP备06071611号,京公网安备11010802018363号 )

GMT+8, 2020-10-29 04:33 , Processed in 0.097828 second(s), 14 queries , Redis On.